Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My search for the lactose intolerance and celiac answer and a bit extra

*** Note as with all medical information I share on here please ask your doctor.  I am a mom and do not know you.  Your doctor knows all your medical history and will know how any information will pertain to you*****

My daughter has lactose intolerance and I have been looking around to see if there is any possibility that she will grow out of it since it can come with the celiac disease or if she will continue to have it forever.  I am happy to say all the research that I have read has lead me to believe that there is a chance that after being on a strict GF diet for a year to two years she could grow out of it.  There is no clear answer but I did not expect one.  She could have the LI from the damage done to the villi and micro villi in her small intestines.  Once they heal (in a year -2 years) she can be retested and might be able to handle the process of breaking down lactose once more.  She might have inherited the genetic  problem to develop a shortage of Lactase from us.  

I thought anyone with CD or loved someone with CD would be glad to hear that there is hope.  Also if you have CD and have never been tested you may want to consider it.


I went to the doctor the for the "results"   So now my daughter and I both have appointments for  gastroenterology.  I also have a few other appointments I will keep you posted on.


I can't wait to get my hands on these!  I want to let my daughter try it for cereal but I also want to try making "rice crispy treats"  out of them.  I can't wait to see her face when she tries one for the first time.







No comments:

Post a Comment